Our reading circle had a RECORD attendance last night to discuss “The Jew in the Lotus” by Roger Kamenetz. Twelve readers attended, including 5 first-timers and CO-ED attendance!! It was a lively discussion — thanks as always for sharing your personal insights and frank opinions. Also thanks to Rabbi Deb and Marsha for bringing snacks!
Even though we are a very informal group, our consensus was to add three policies for our book club:
- Turn off cell phones (or set to vibrate if you are expecting an important call).
- Pick our books at least 2 months out so those who use the library can share these scarce resources.
- Read the book we are discussing (even if you don’t finish it) to help us stay on topic.
Our next two meetings and book selections are:
- Thursday, 9/26 — to discuss “The Red Tent” by Anita Diamant
- Thursday, 11/7 — to discuss “The Triumph of Deborah” by Eva Etzioni-Halevey
If you’d like to preview some discussion questions for “The Red Tent”, go to:
For more information about these books, go to our digital bookshelf at www.thereadingroom.com and select the Or Ahavah Book Club; go to “What This Book Club is Reading” or review all the “Top Suggestions”. (For first-time attendees, I sent you an invite to this web site that should arrive today!!)
We look forward to seeing you.
Best wishes for a healthy, happy new year.